Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I need to apply W8 as it is required by a NY company

Customer Question
I need to apply for...
I need to apply for a W8 as it is required by a NY company when we provide our services and equipment. How much does it cost & how long does it take for you to complete the information required?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/8/2015
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
I am assuming you are referring to the W-8BEN series of forms. If that assumption is incorrect, please let me know. If I am correct, we can proceed, and I will be happy to assist you with completing the appropriate form.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Yes, but first I need to know if we have to fill out an EIN and does a lawyer or tax accountant need to verify and stamp all forms?
No EIN is required, and you can complete and sign the form yourself.
OK - I understand that since this is a business, the E-BEN-E form is required. And, you are stating we do not need an EIN?
No EIN is required. You are establishing yourself as a foreign person/entity.
The information contained at the following link will give you a better understanding:
http://blogs.angloinfo.com/us-tax/2012/12/24/what-is-form-w-8ben-and-what-is-it-used-for/
Once you have reviewed the information, please let me know and we can continue.
Best regards,
Barb
OK - but I'm a little confused. How will the number be issued once we have filled out the form? How long does it take?
You would not use Form W-8BEN-E to apply for an EIN. That is an entirely different process.
What is your specific intention?
To form an entity here to do business in the U.S. OR to provide information that you are a foreign entity (Canadian) wishing to assert foreign entity status and reduce/eliminate withholding of tax from your customer in the U.S. (NY)?
Sorry, I don't think this process will work as I will need to talk to someone live. Thanks for trying.
I will gladly speak to you via phone. I will make you an offer.
Thanks but I will contact you when I have a better idea of what is required for this specific proposal.
Take all the time you need. Just post any additional questions here, and I will respond.
Best regards,
Barb
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent