How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3368
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to apply W8 as it is required by a NY company

Customer Question

I need to apply for a W8 as it is required by a NY company when we provide our services and equipment. How much does it cost & how long does it take for you to complete the information required?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
I am assuming you are referring to the W-8BEN series of forms. If that assumption is incorrect, please let me know. If I am correct, we can proceed, and I will be happy to assist you with completing the appropriate form.
Thank you and best regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but first I need to know if we have to fill out an EIN and does a lawyer or tax accountant need to verify and stamp all forms?
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
No EIN is required, and you can complete and sign the form yourself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK - I understand that since this is a business, the E-BEN-E form is required. And, you are stating we do not need an EIN?
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
No EIN is required. You are establishing yourself as a foreign person/entity.
The information contained at the following link will give you a better understanding:
Once you have reviewed the information, please let me know and we can continue.
Best regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK - but I'm a little confused. How will the number be issued once we have filled out the form? How long does it take?
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
You would not use Form W-8BEN-E to apply for an EIN. That is an entirely different process.
What is your specific intention?
To form an entity here to do business in the U.S. OR to provide information that you are a foreign entity (Canadian) wishing to assert foreign entity status and reduce/eliminate withholding of tax from your customer in the U.S. (NY)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I don't think this process will work as I will need to talk to someone live. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
I will gladly speak to you via phone. I will make you an offer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks but I will contact you when I have a better idea of what is required for this specific proposal.
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Take all the time you need. Just post any additional questions here, and I will respond.
Best regards,