How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12471
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband placed his business in my name. He then failed

Customer Question

My husband placed his business in my name. He then failed to pay over $130,000.00 in taxes (Never paid the employee tax to the IRS) Can I legally make him responsible for the taxes? (Divorce etc?)
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me more about how he "placed the business in your name?"
Is this a C-Corp, S-Corp, LLC, etc.
If so then there would have to have been a change made with the secretary of state.
There IS something called "innocent spouse relief" but that is used for Joint filers where one of the two can be relieved of the tax, interest, and penalties on a joint tax return.
If you can tell me more about HOW this was done, we can go from there. It may be possible that the never actually did all that's required (stock ownership changes, amending article or organization (LLC) or incorporation (corp).
No personally identifying info pleas, but can you tell me more about the business entity and what, exactly, he did?
Then we can go from there...
I'll be here...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a S-corp. I show as the sole owner with the SOS. My husband (estranged) is willing to sign any sort of legal documentation to admit responsibility- I just don't know if that would satisfy the IRS. The business is no longer in my name. He is the owner now
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
OK, what we're talking about here is the The trust fund recovery penalty (“TFRP”) ... which is set forth in IRC § 6672.
It serves as an ALTERNATIVE means of collecting unpaid trust fund taxes when taxes are not fully collectible from the company or business that failed to pay the taxes.
So if he is the owner now and willing to assume the responsibility, that should be the first point of contact, as IRS wants the BUSINESS to pay the taxes.
Congress enacted IRC § 6672 to encourage prompt payment of withheld and other collected taxes and to ensure the ultimate collection of the taxes from a secondary source. Historically, it is also referred to as the 100% Penalty because the person responsible is liable for 100% of the trust fund withheld amount.
YOUR case will simply be (IF you are contacted) to show that this was done without your knowledge.
Because the trust fund penalty (they call it that because there is essentially a trust created - a virtual trust - for the funds that should be collected and paid-in) an only be applied when there was a WILLFUL failure to collect and pay-in.
Here's what the law says:
The TFRP is imposed on any person required to collect, account for, and pay over taxes held in trust who willfully fails to perform any of these activities.
The TFRP may be imposed for:
*Willful failure to collect tax,
*Willful failure to account for and pay tax, or
*Willful attempt in any manner to evade or defeat tax or the payment thereof.
If he, as the responsible party for the S-Corp contacts and makes arrangements to pay, this will be his issue.
Essentially they will go after anyone until it's been collected.
They define responsible party as any of the following:
a responsible person may be one or more of the following:
*an officer or employee of a corporation
*a member or employee of a partnership
*a corporate director or shareholder
*a related controlling corporation
*a lender, a surety, or any other person with sufficient control over funds to direct disbursement of the funds, or in some cases
*a person assuming control after accrual of the liability.
Now, here's the kinds of things they'll ask to make a determination:
Did the person have responsibility and did so willfully to withhold funds as tax and use those funds to pay operating expenses of the business are willful.
Were the person’s explicit or implicit directions willful to a degree sufficient to make the person liable for the trust fund recovery penalty.
The Government does not need to show that a responsible person had any evil intent or desire to defraud the Government of the withheld taxes.
The Appeals Officer has responsibility to thoroughly investigate the matter. This is the client’s opportunity to present his or her case in detail. I.R.M. (10-19-2007)
Is the person responsible and if so was the person willful in failing to collect and pay over the trust fund amount. IRM (11-12-2010)
Now, here's the key for YOU...
To show willfulness, the government generally must demonstrate that a responsible person was aware, or should have been aware, of the outstanding taxes and either intentionally disregarded the law or was plainly indifferent to its requirements.
But again, lighting a fire under him by building a case,(and making him aware that you understand the law here and are documenting that you are not the responsible party) may be the best first move.
If he contacts and takes responsibility they will have HIM (appropriately) on their radar screen.
Have they contact you? Him? Both?
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Just checking back in to see if I could help.
... never heard back from you about where things were here
(has IRS contacted you, him, etc)
If I know a little more, I can probably help with what your next steps should be.
I'll make an offer for a nominal amount (it's called an additional services offer - if you click on "get more help" and accept the offer, we can then exchange contact info and discuss confidentially)
Or just let me know here...
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
… just checking back in to see how things are going.
Did my answer help?
Let me know…