Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I received a CP 14 notice from IRS stating that I owed

Customer Question
Hello...I received a CP 14...
Hello...I received a CP 14 notice from IRS stating that I owed money. I paid the tax amount online and have my bank statement showing the IRS taking the money from my checking account. What now?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Tax
6/6/2015
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 years ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
If you have paid the amount due and you have confirmation that the IRS has taken the payment from your checking account, there is nothing further you need to do.
The following link contains information regard CP14 notices which you may want to review:
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Understanding-your-CP14-Notice
Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 3 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
HI
Different expert here. I'm Anne and I've been preparing taxes for 27 years.
Even though you paid the tax, ignoring a letter from the IRS is NEVER a good idea.
The CP14 letter should list the $ amounts of the tax you reported, the payments that you sent the IRS, and the $ amount still due (per them
You should find a place in the letter that is called the "response section"
This portion generally lists 3 options:
You agree with the notice (and will send the payment or make payment arrangements)
You partially agree with the notice
You disagree with the notice
Since you are going to disagree with the notice, you will need to contact the IRS at the phone # ***** the top of the letter so they can tell you what they want as proof of the payment
All of this information that can be found at the following URL:
http://www.taxact.com/tsupport/FAQDisplay.asp?Question=681
If you have any further question, please post them here & I'll be notified.
If this answers your question, please take the moment to rate positive (smiley faces or stars)
It is only through positive ratings that we are paid for our time and knowledge.
Thank you for using justanswer.
First expert here - I interpreted your question as that you paid the tax AFTER receiving the CP notice NOT advising you to ignore the notice. If my interpretation is incorrect, please let me know.Best regards,Barb
Although it's perfectly acceptable for one expert to disagree with another, due to reading the question differently for instance,as in this case.
However one of the things we try NOT to do is to put the customer in the middle of multiple postings between 2 experts, so I will only repeat that you should NEVER EVER NOT ANSWER OR IGNORE AN IRS LETTER.
I sincerely ***** ***** you have a positive outcome to this dilemma