Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Irs called saying I am being sued to call a 360 number

Customer Question
Irs called saying I...
Irs called saying I am being sued to call a 360 number this the first I am hearing about it no letters no other phone calls
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/5/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi, This is a scam. IRS DOES NOT call individuals in their home.you can go here: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Scams-Consumer-Alerts to see the IRS warnings about these calls.
See this, from that IRS announcement:
An aggressive and sophisticated phone scam targeting taxpayers, including recent immigrants, has been making the rounds throughout the country. Callers claim to be employees of the IRS, but are not. These con artists can sound convincing when they call. They use fake names and bogus IRS identification badge numbers. They may know a lot about their targets, and they usually alter the caller ID to make it look like the IRS is calling. Victims are told they owe money to the IRS and it must be paid promptly through a pre-loaded debit card or wire transfer. If the victim refuses to cooperate, they are then threatened with arrest, deportation or suspension of a business or driver’s license. In many cases, the caller becomes hostile and insulting.Or, victims may be told they have a refund due to try to trick them into sharing private information. If the phone isn't answered, the scammers often leave an “urgent” callback request.Note that the IRS will never: 1) call to demand immediate payment, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill; 2) demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe; 3) require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card; 4) ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone; or 5) threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.
Please do not respond to this or fall for this scam ... YOu can report this to the FTC's Consimer protection area, but this is now becoming a well known scam.I would recommend blocking the number that's calling and/or telig them that you know that IRS does not make such phone calls and threaten to (and/or DO) report them to the authorities
PLease let me know if you have any qestions at all...LaneIf this HAS helped, I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the smiley faces or stars on your screen ... that's the ONLY WAY I'm credited for the work here.
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS