Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

This question is Adamo, accountant. I am a travel

Customer Question
This question is for Shawn...
This question is for Shawn Adamo, accountant. I am a travel nurse and as long as my assignment is at least 50 miles from my home, I get a tax free housing stipen. I have 2 questions. 1. Does that language need to be in my temporary nursing assignment contract
to be eligible for the housing stipend. I am paid on a w2 and my employer selects a code to reflect that I am an agency nurse. 2. I use Google to check the mileage to ensure it's 50 miles or greater. I am now seeing 2 routes with google. One is the highway
and the other is on back roads which can be faster during rush hour. The place that I want to move to shows 39 miles via the highway but 55 miles driving another route which could actually take less time if it has less traffic. My actual question pertains
to the aforementioned. Would the IRS allow either routes as long as you have a print out of which you drive or would they default to the route distance that is the least amount of mileage?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/4/2015
Tax Professional: ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions. replied 2 years ago
ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Hello and thanks for asking for me.
1. I would certainly suggest that language be included in the contract or at least have a copy stating that this is the company policy. get something in writing.
The route you take is up to YOU. Short and L O N G vs a longer yet shorter ride.
Had the second ride been in a long round about way there would be an issue. However since the mileage is more but the time is less there is no issue.
I'll offer you a call.
ShawnA
ShawnA