How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father is 90 yrs young and wants to give me his home he

Customer Question

my father is 90 yrs young and wants to give me his home he owes $10.000 and my deceased mothers name is ***** ***** property. How can we accomplish this with out a lot of taxes and red tape?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
In the US - a gift - is not taxable income for the recipient and the donee does not need to report it to the IRS.There is no any amount limit.Please see IRS publication 525 - page 31 - and inheritances. In most cases, property you receive as a gift, bequest, or inheritance is not included in your income. However, if property you receive this way later produces income such as interest, dividends, or rents, that income is taxable to you.You - the donor is subject of US gift tax regulations.That would be the donor who files form 709 - gift tax return - not recipients of the gift.The gift tax return is required when the total value of the gift is above $14,000 (for 2015) per person per year.There will not be any gift taxes unless the lifetime limit of $5,430,000 (adjusted every year for inflation) is reached.So far - neither will have tax liability.But because the gift is above $14,000 - you will need to file the gift tax return - but most likely - will NOT owe any gift tax.Please seeGift tax return