How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12686
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a non us citizen, and I file taxes in the UK. I've visited

Customer Question

I'm a non us citizen, and I file taxes in the UK. I've visited the US for training, should I pay tax as a result of those visits to the US government?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
No, you will not report to IRS (US Government agency that administers the tax code) unless you are considered a U.S person ... either by...
(1) being a U.S. Citizen, or
(2) being a U.S. tax resident by virtue of having either
(a) a greencard, or
(b) passing the substantial presence test.
See this from IRS on the substantial presence test:
Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page
Substantial Presence Test
You will be considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year.
To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States on at least:
31 days during the current year, and
183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
All the days you were present in the current year, and
1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.
Let me know if you have questions ...