Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I heard that if a US non-resident sell a house in US with a real estat

Customer Question
e capital gain, the depreciation...
I heard that if a US non-resident sell a house in US with a real estat e capital gain, the depreciation of the house claimed in previous ECI(effectively connected income) filing will be subject to a 25% tax? If that's the case, is it better to file ECI without claiming house depreciation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/3/2015
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
If a U.S. non-resident disposes of real property situated in the U.S., the non-resident is subject to a non-resident withholding tax of 10% of the gross sales price.
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Withholding-of-Tax-on-Dispositions-of-U.S.-Real-Property-Interests
Tax at a 30% (or lower treaty) rate applies to certain items of income or gains from U.S. sources but only if the items are not effectively connected (ECI) with your U.S. trade or business.
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch04.html#en_US_2014_publink1000222345
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
My question seems to be totally ignored since I am talking about non-resident house rental income treated as ECI. The 30% has nothing to do with this by my question. The answer didn't solve my question at all.
I apologize if you believe your question seems to be totally ignored, but your question referenced the sale of a U.S. property.
Please clarify what you are referring to--income from sale or income from rental income treated as ECI or both.
Best regards,
Barb
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent