How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3802
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am selling my home and want to give a friend $68,000, he

Customer Question

I am selling my home and want to give a friend $68,000, he helped me with expenses while he was living here. How
Much tax would I have to
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
If you are considering the $68,000 as a gift to your friend, neither you nor your friend will owe any taxes on the gift. You will, however, have a REPORTING requirement to document the gift because it is more than $14,000. You would use Form 709 to report the gift.
The following link contains Form 709 and its instructions:,-United-States-Gift-(and-Generation-Skipping-Transfer)-Tax-Return
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol, I knew the answer I received, I was really looking for an answer yo
My question, such as x% or taxed as income, etc. I am not satisfied
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
I apologize if you already knew the answer I provided, however, I would have no way of knowing what you know or do not know.
You asked about the tax on the gift of $68,000 to your friend, and there is NO tax on a gift to your friend or you.
If you are asking about the tax on the sale of your home, that is a different issue. Please clarify specifically what you are asking.
However, when selling your primary residence, there is a sale of home exclusion on the gain for those taxpayers who have owned and lived in the home for 2 of the last 5 years immediately preceding the sale. The 2 years does not have to be consecutive. If you use the single filing status, the exclusion amount is $250,000. If you use the married filing jointly filing status, the exclusion amount is $500,000.
For example, if you purchased the home for $100,000 and sell it for $200,000, your gain would be $100,000, and no tax would be due.
Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Best regards,
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.
Best regards,