How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3737
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I was in the Army in 2008 and a Legal resident of TX and

Customer Question

If I was in the Army in 2008 and a Legal resident of TX and I had a mortgage in Ga. Can NC collect a debt of state tax from me for 2008?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. Thank you for choosing us to assist you. My name is ***** ***** my goal is to help make your life, a little... less taxing.
My understanding is that you were in the Army based in NC 2008, but you were legeally a resident of Texas and owned property in GA., and the NC Dept. of Revenue is saying that you owe them money. Is this correct?
Q: If you had North Carolina income sources (not military pay), they can. SEE BELOW:
Under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, if you are a legal resident of another state who is stationed in North Carolina on military orders, you will not be taxed on your military pay by North Carolina. However, if you receive income from non-military employment, tangible property or a business located in North Carolina, you must pay the North Carolina tax on that income.
Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well somewhat. I was based in Korea, has in GA. and on my W-2 was Texas because I was stationed in Texas before. My daughters and brother live in NC and I was visiting them and it was tax time so I had my taxes done and they need an address to mail the check so I used my brothers address. I never claimed the state only used his address and I explained that to dor state nc that I did not want a check to come to a PO Box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
Using the NC address is why the state was under the impression that you were a resident there. You may want to talk to a supervisor at the NC Department of Revenue. If you are unable to get this matter resolved, you may need to a get a Tax Attorney or a Tax Advocate involved. Usually Tax Advocates provide free service to those who qualify. For more information regarding a Tax Advocate, you can refer to the information at the following link;
You may also want to look at the North Carolina Tapayers Bill Of Rights
I will send you an offer.