Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Do solar panels qualify 179 accelerated depreciation

Customer Question
Do solar panels qualify for...
Do solar panels qualify for section 179 accelerated depreciation on a business property that is owner occupied and who would that work? over what time period would the depreciation be?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Tax
5/29/2015
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 3 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.
Energy property, including solar panels do not qualify for sec 179 depreciation. According to IRS publication 946 properties that do not qualify are land improvements, leased properties, properties used for lodging and energy properties, including "Equipment that uses solar energy to generate electricity".
Here's the link to the publication: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p946/ch02.html#en_US_2013_publink1000107404
You can depreciate it over 5 years.
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.
I see you read my respond. Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with?
I don't think your answer is correct. my accountant does not agree with you and reading the code itself it appears that an Energy Property is listed as an exception to the list of properties that do NOT qualify. so that would mean that it DOES qualify does it not?
Here's a respond from another accountant and couple more resources that suggest solar panels do not qualify for section 179:
http://www.justanswer.com/tax/73vg5-section-179-solar-panel-installed-warehouse.html
http://finance.zacks.com/kind-deductions-qualify-under-irs-section-179-5192.html
http://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/tax-writeoffs-sole-proprietorship-business-tools-equipment-24598.html
I agree that IRS publication is not exactly clear on the subject but I still would not take 179 for solar panels. I will opt out, maybe another expert will give you different answer.