How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29571
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question on foreign sourced income. What rate I

Customer Question

Hi I have a question on foreign sourced income. What rate I should use for 2014 to convert a foreign currency into USD when the currency significantly depreciated at the end of the year. Should any consideration be given to this fact, in order to make a payment I have to use a rate which was not in place during the year.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The question is about Russia sourced income. The Ruble depreciated in Nov-Dec 2014 by about 100%, now in order to pay my US taxes on income in Russian Rubles I have to use a significantly different exchange rate. Can I use current exchange rate so it would decrease my income converted in USD.
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!The Internal Revenue Service has no official exchange rate. Generally, it accepts any posted exchange rate that is used consistently.If your functional currency is the US dollar, you must immediately translate into dollars all items of income, expense, etc. (including taxes), that you receive, pay, or accrue in a foreign currency and that will affect computation of your income tax.However, if you receive income evenly throughout the tax year, you may translate the foreign currency to US dollars using the yearly average currency exchange rate for the tax year.In this case - you may use Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates published by the IRS here - for Russian Rouble - the rate for 2014 is 40.118
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lev, thank you. I am a cash basis taxpayer and all my incomes and expenses are in Russia, so my primarily economic environment is in Rubles, so my functional currency is Rubles. For this reason, I should be able to use the rate of the first USD cash flow, i.e. when I make USD tax payment. No?
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
You may not simply swish your functional currency... The US dollar is the functional currency for all taxpayers except some qualified business units (QBUs). A QBU is a separate and clearly identified unit of a trade or business that maintains separate books and records.See here regulations
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
If your functional currency is not the U.S. dollar, make all income tax determinations in your functional currency. At the end of the year, translate the results, such as income or loss, into U.S. dollars to report on your income tax return.In this case - you should use annual exchange rates mentioned above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, no luck... I am getting screwed by the significant devaluation of Ruble in the last two months of 2014.
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
You may separately report losses on foreign currency conversion.
That is different issue.
But if there were no conversions - you would not recognize the loss.

Related Tax Questions