Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Does the foreign tax paid cananda on sale of land there reduce

Customer Question
the new 10% n y...
does the foreign tax paid cananda on sale of land there reduce the new 10% n y capital gain tax?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
5/28/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Hi and welcome to our site!As a resident of NY - the person is subject to taxes on all worldwide income - including from Canadian sources.If you're a resident of New York State and another state or Canadian province for income tax purposes, you can't claim a credit if the other jurisdiction allows a credit against its tax for the total resident tax paid to New York.If you were a full-year or part-year resident of New York State, or a New York State resident estate or trust, or a part-year resident trust, and you had income sourced to and taxed by a Canadian province, you may claim a credit against your New York State tax. This credit is allowable only for the portion of the tax that applies to income sourced to and taxed by the Canadian province while you were a New York State resident. If you paid tax to more than one Canadian province during your New York State resident period, use a separate Form IT-112-C for each province.http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it112c_fill_in.pdf
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney