How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15187
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked in US from 2008-2011, paid US tax during that period.

Customer Question

i worked in US from 2008-2011, paid US tax during that period. 2011-2014 worked outside of US. Now i have a work opportunity to work in US again. My questions is whether i would be requested to retroactively pay US tax from 2011-2014 if i return to US to work now.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 20 years of experience.
The US tax system does not assess tax in a retroactive manner just because you come back to the US.
The US taxes based on citizenship or residency and then allows for exclusion of foreign earned income for citizens and resident aliens. A tax return is required to be filed (base don income amounts) but the exclusion of foreign earned income is claimed and no tax on amounts up to the limits (which change yearly).
If you are not a Green Card holder and you were not in the US working, you would not be taxed on earnings form Non US sources even if you return to the US.
If you are a citizen or Green Card holder and you did not file a US return then you would be expected to do that and claim your exclusion or pay the tax due.
Let me know if you are a citizen and we can discuss that specific requirement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, during 2008-2011, i had my tax equalization, would this make the matter more complicated? or it does not change your answer above?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
No the answer does not change.The US tax would not be changed. Tax equalization can sometimes be more complicated for the employee because in most cases, although it is meant to assist it confuses.If you are not a citizen or green card holder then you are not taxed in the US for non US sourced income.