How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is Alex. I would like to have some information about

Customer Question

This is Alex.
I would like to have some information about tax regulations about "Free Zone Tax".
As a US citizen, I need to know if I join as a shareholder to a LLC company registered in free zone (in UAE), do I have to pay tax considering bank account of the company is not in US
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!As an US citizen - you are taxed on ALL your taxable income - regardless if that income is earned in the US or abroad and regardless if income is transferred to the US or the money are left in a foreign bank account.Also - whether the income is excluded from taxable income is determined based on US tax laws and regulations - and not based on foreign tax laws.So - while your income might be not taxable in UAE - it is still taxable in the US.Now - we need to be clear whether that LLC is taxed as a corporation OR as a partnership under the US tax law.If that is a corporation - you as a shareholder is taxed ONLY on dividends paid to you.If that is a partnership - you are taxed on your share of the partnership taxable income.