How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12020
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to remove a state tax lien filled by the state

Customer Question

I am trying to remove a state tax lien filled by the state of Ohio against me for a business that was closed 5 years before the lien. It is filed against me personally although the filing is for state taxes against the corporation. There were no taxes due at the closing of the corporation and it was closed down with all the required paperwork. The amount is about $16,000.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
A tax lien is filed with the county courts when a tax liability is referred for collection.
Based on the information your provided here, this could be as simple as going to the clerk of court and providng that the corporation was dissolved and owne no tax.
OH dept of taxation says that in this case you should contact the Attorney General's Office. For business taxes call 1-***-***-****.
You should be able to obtain a certificate of lien release, and then have it file with the clerk of superior court in your county.
Let me know if I've understood your question correctly...
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
...just checking back in to see how everything's going.
Did my answer help?
Let me know