How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15734
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What software do CPA use to do what a landlord's taxes?

Customer Question

What software do CPA use to do what a landlord's taxes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 20 years of experience.
Every CPA or tax professional has software that they choose themselves.
There is no one software that all use.
For the lay person, tax software (like TaxSlayer or TurboTax) is available that makes the preparation very simple.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problem I have is that I realized for 2013 the CPA made a huge mistake. As I would not owe on taxes, I thought I can do both 2013 and 2014 at the same time now. I owe some money for 2013 (because of the CPA mistake), so I am trying to get things right.

Is this a correct path I am taking? I don't want to have any problems because of the CPA.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Then you need to amend the 2013 return using form 1040X. If the CPA made a mistake you should really think about having them correct it. The CPA does have responsibility to prepare a correct return.
If you wish to do your own then you can use the software companies I mentioned but you need to make certain that you file a 1040X for the 2013 and complete it before you tackle the 2014. You will most likely have carryover amounts form 2013 to 2014.
You are correct in wanting to file a correct return you just need to file the 1040X with the Schedule E and Forms that are changing.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you need more info.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The CPA offered to pay me back (what I paid last year). He doesn't want to do it. Should I have him redo my 2013?

Can I do 1040X on Turbo tax for 2013?

Is there anyone who can proof check my taxes regardless of if I do it or Turbo tax?

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You wrote: "Every CPA or tax professional has software that they choose themselves."

Could you give me a few names, starting with easier to use softwares?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in responding.
Yes, I believe you should have the CPA correct the return. Even if they have offered to give you the money they can easily amend a return in their system and should do so if the mistake was their fault.
Easier to use software for professionals is a difficult question to answer.
Drake, ProSeries, TaxSlayer Pro, are just some of the software available to purchase for professionals. Easy would be determined on the user's ability.
Let the CPA amend that return.