How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask USTaxAdvising Your Own Question
USTaxAdvising, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1237
Experience:  US Taxation specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
USTaxAdvising is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed EIN 10 years ago to start my business, but I ended up with doing nothing. There w

Customer Question

I filed EIN 10 years ago to start my business, but I ended up with doing nothing. There was no business , no bank account no actual transactions. No I found tax lien from CA state. I assume they accumulated mnimum tax for a decade. How should I start to handle this case ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 2 years ago.
I believe you are correct to think the tax lien is from the accumulated minimum tax that has never been paid.
I would recommend writing a letter to the Franchise Tax Board and "beg for mercy" stating that you never actually began business which can be confirmed as you never opened a bank account, nor did you incur any income or expenses. You have to explain that business never even started and that you neglected to liquidate the company. Now that you have realized the company was still listed as active you have taken steps to liquidate it.
I think they should accept your request so long as you can convince them that no income nor expenses have been incurred and thus business had never commenced.
I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further doubts or questions and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Best regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am in oversea and am looking for some one to help resolve this case ASAPCan you help me for fee ?
it is only USD 5000 lien. I can draft my letter with supporting document that proof I left the USA a long time agoI think you only need to proof read my letter and follow up with the tax office
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 2 years ago.
Certainly I can assist. I will provide an "Offer More" service through JustAnswer and we can take it from there.
Looking forward to speaking with you.
Best regards