How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12691
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband and I had a business which I managed. It was

Customer Question

My ex-husband and I had a business which I managed. It was given sub-chap S
for our joint return. We were divorced and have not filed jointly since 2011. Did
the sub s die with divorce?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
The S-Corp is actually a tax election ... the underlying business entity could have been an LLC or a regular corporation that elected S-Corp taxation.
For TAX purposes there should have been a FINAL 1120-S (tax return for an S-Corp) done ... where the FINAL box is checked on the 1120-S.
From a state business entity law perspective the Corporation should have been dissolved with the secretary of state.
The divorce itself, although it should have dealt with property settlement of the OWNERSHIP of the entity between would not have dealt at all with the dissolution or filing the final return.
let me know if you have questions ...