How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15308
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

General Question: What can I claim as a teacher? What can

Customer Question

General Question: What can I claim as a teacher? What can I claim as a athletic coach? Travel? Scouting? DVD's? etc Clothing?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello,As a teacher you are allowed to claim the amounts you spend for your classroom that are not reimbursed to you. This would be the same for any employee. If you must travel in the course of your work and you are not reimbursed then you are allowed to claim that expense. If you use your personal vehicle, you can claim the mileage or the actual expenses for gas and repairs (receipts are a must if you claim actual).The only way you can claim clothing is if you have a uniform that is required.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Generally your expenses are claimed on Schedule A but you could claim up to a certain amount directly on the 1040 if you do not itemize.FREE EXTRA INFORMATION FOR YOUIf you are an eligible educator, you can deduct up to $250 ($500 if married filing joint and both spouses are educators, but not more than $250 each) of any unreimbursed expenses (otherwise deductible as a trade or business expense). Qualified expenses are amounts you paid or incurred for books, supplies, computer equipment (including related software and services), other equipment, and supplementary materials that you use in the classroom. For courses in health and physical education, expenses for supplies are qualified expenses only if related to athletics. This deduction is for expenses paid or incurred during the tax year. You claim the deduction on line 23 of Form 1040 (PDF) or line 16 of Form 1040A
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not get my total question answered. I need specifics in regards ***** ***** athletics as well. What about scouting games, professionl development, recruiting, coaching meetings. Most expenses come in the form of food and travel. Millige (sp) hotel, gas. Concluding, If I don't save recipts but pay useing my credit card does that help?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for responding so we can continue.
You would be allowed to claim any expense that is directly required for the work, so if you are paying for your travel away from home over night, you can claim meals and travel costs. You should retain receipts but credit card receipts would assist you if you do not have a receipt.
As i advised, you can claim mileage or actual gas and repair cost, not both.
Professional development would be in the education under employment. To be deductible, your expenses must be for education that (1) maintains or improves your job skills or (2) that your employer or a law requires to keep your salary, status or job. However, even if the education meets either of these tests, the education cannot be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business or that you need to meet the minimal educational requirements of your trade or business.