Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I currently live in south carolina and I cant get a straight

Customer Question
answer from anyone at the...
I currently live in south carolina and I cant get a straight answer from anyone at the Dept of Revenue. If I hold an estate sale for a someone. All used items that I do not own in their home. Do I need to charge sales tax?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
5/19/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Hi and welcome to our site!SC Regulation 117-322, concerns casual and isolated sales, and states:Casual or isolated sales by persons not engaged in the business of selling tangible personal property at retail are not subject to the sales or use tax.For purposes of administering this regulation, the term “casual” means occurring, encountered, acting or performed without regularity or at random. The term “occasional” and the term "isolated" mean occurring alone or once, an incident not likely to recur, sporadic.
So far - if
-- you are not engaged in the business of selling tangible personal property at retail and
-- that estate sale will take place only once -
then - such sale will not be subject to the sales tax and you would not charge sales tax from buyers.
See for reference - page 56 -
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/coderegs/Ch%20117.pdf
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor