Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My brother's and my business (inherited from our Mother, passed

Customer Question
March 16, 2012) received a...
My brother's and my business (inherited from our Mother, passed March 16, 2012) received a new EIN. I was not aware of this change and I am the active partner. The accountant doing the K! this year has been both my mothers (business was a sole prop. until her death , then became a partnership) and my brothers account for many years. She set the new # ***** and all the correspondence went to my brothers address ,therefore I never received a letter saying we had a new EIN. He is not involved at all in any business activities concerning the store having a busy separate career and assumed I received the s ame letter and just filed his away. I have unfortunately conducted all business using the old EIN....until the first quarter of 2015, when I found all of this out just days before I filed. I spoke with a field office here, he said to call the business #but I have not after many tries gotten through. I hope you can help me.....
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
5/19/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
The answer IS to SOMEHOW contact IRS and make them aware, although I need to know exactly what "have done business under the old ID" means.
If the accountant has been doing the K-1's from the partnership return (which is what you became by default, a partnership, when you and your brother inherited) Then this may not be the issue you think it is.
If she applied for the new number and it's been the K-1 issued UNDER that EIN, then your reporting that on your return should be OK.
Can you tell me more?
Also I'll make what's called an additional services offer here, so you can discuss over the phone if you'd like ... If you accept I'll enter the office number (OR we can continue here)
Lane
Thank you very much. I was connected with the IRS shortly after receiving your answer. You were right there really should not be a problem, as I did start using the new number the first quarter of 2015.
Have no other questions at this time.
Best regards,
Angela
Your positive rating (using the STARS or faces on your screen) would be THANKS ENOUGH Angela.
Glad I could help
Lane
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS