How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a client that owns a c corporation which generated a

Customer Question

I have a client that owns a c corporation which generated a loss on the first year of business. I know that c corporations do not pass through any loss/income to their owners. However, i want to know of loopholes to somehow report that loss in the clients personal return? Whether it be reporting it in a different way or what not.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!Unfortunately - there is NO way to pass C-corporation losses to the shareholder's personal tax return...If first year losses are expected - I assume that C-corporation doesn't pay wages to shareholder - correct? That would reduce personal income and reduce losses.In such situation - C-corporation is not correct choice from tax prospective.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not satisfied with the answer.
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
That is perfectly fine and understandable.The tax law related to taxation of C-corporations and shareholders is design such a way - these are different taxing entities...The shareholder recognizes taxable income or loss on dividends and/or other distributions from C-corporation and when shares are sold or otherwise disposed.If you are looking to pass losses from the corporation to the shareholder - we need to use a different type of entity.