How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15176
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired and living entirely on Social Security in Kansas.

Customer Question

I am retired and living entirely on Social Security in Kansas. I am living at my sons home for now. I have a sizable Investment which I plan to cash in soon. I then plan to move to Florida and purchase a home. Florida does not have an income tax. How can I receive my funds so as not to pay taxes in Kansas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 20 years of experience.
If you wish to avoid taxation on the investment, you would need to wait till after your move to Florida. There is no way you can be a resident in Kansas and avoid the taxation of your income.
Depending on the actual investment you hold you may not have tax on the total you receive.
Some investments are taxed on the earnings (annuities would be a good example). You would not pay tax on the distributed contributions.
Perhaps if you advise on the type of investment, I can advise on the possible taxation.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Please advise if you need more information. I would like to continue after you let me know what type of "investment" you are going to cash in.