How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15204
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have not lived in -- or visited -- the U.S. five

Customer Question

I have not lived in -- or visited -- the U.S. for about five years.
Recently, I was considering moving back and looked into a mortgage. In that process, I learned the IRS has filed a tax lien against me ... for no small sum.
I now need to renew my passport and plan to do that next month (during my time off) at a U.S. Embassy in Europe.
What can I expect?
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 20 years of experience.
An IRS tax lien is a collection action not a warrant.
The rules regarding the denial and restriction of US passports are found in 22 CFR 51.60.
Generally, an individual cannot be denied a passport merely because he owes back taxes. However, an individual can be denied a passport if his tax matters have escalated. The State Department may refuse to issue a passport in certain cases.
An individual may fall under the rules permitting denial of issuance if any of the following apply: the taxpayer is subject to a subpoena and the IRS has commenced court or grand jury proceedings against the taxpayer; the IRS has filed criminal felony charges against the taxpayer; there is an outstanding federal arrest warrant issued against the individual for the commission of a tax-related felony; or the taxpayer is on parole or out on bond.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Did you need additional assistance

Related Tax Questions