Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have not lived in -- or visited -- the U.S. five

Customer Question
I have not lived in...
I have not lived in -- or visited -- the U.S. for about five years.
Recently, I was considering moving back and looked into a mortgage. In that process, I learned the IRS has filed a tax lien against me ... for no small sum.
I now need to renew my passport and plan to do that next month (during my time off) at a U.S. Embassy in Europe.
What can I expect?
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
5/18/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 20 years of experience.
An IRS tax lien is a collection action not a warrant.
The rules regarding the denial and restriction of US passports are found in 22 CFR 51.60.
Generally, an individual cannot be denied a passport merely because he owes back taxes. However, an individual can be denied a passport if his tax matters have escalated. The State Department may refuse to issue a passport in certain cases.
FREE EXTRA INFORMATION FOR YOU
An individual may fall under the rules permitting denial of issuance if any of the following apply: the taxpayer is subject to a subpoena and the IRS has commenced court or grand jury proceedings against the taxpayer; the IRS has filed criminal felony charges against the taxpayer; there is an outstanding federal arrest warrant issued against the individual for the commission of a tax-related felony; or the taxpayer is on parole or out on bond.
Did you need additional assistance
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4