Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

If I worked as a non resident in North Carolina from August

Customer Question

If I worked as a non resident in North Carolina from August to December would I need to pay state income taxes. Since I was working in state less than six months?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!.The issue is that state tax liability is based on both - residency and source of income.If you are resident - you are taxed on ALL worldwide income - regarding its source.If you are a nonresident - you are taxed ONLY on income from North Carolina. For instance - if you was a nonresident and worked in North Carolina from August to December - you are taxed on these wages..If you permanently moved to North Carolina in August - then - you became a resident - and for that tax year you are a part year resident. So a part of the year - you are taxed as a nonresident and another part as a resident.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So their is no law in north Caroline to say if you are in the state less than six months that you would not have to pay state income taxes
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
There is NO such law to complicatedly exclude from state income tax liability because the taxpayer spent less than 6 month within the state.Sorry if you expected differently...There is a determination of the taxpayer's status - as resident or nonresident or a part year resident - and there are difference in tax filing and different rules to calculate tax liability.See here - http://www.dor.state.nc.us/taxes/individual/resident.htmlYou are considered a nonresident if you are legal resident of another state. A nonresident is required to report income received from services performed in North Carolina or from tangible property located in this State. You are a part-year resident if you moved to North Carolina and became a resident during the tax year or you moved out of North Carolina and became a resident of another state. Part-year residents are required to report all income received while a resident as well as from services performed in North Carolina or from tangible property located in this State.
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
There is a determination of the taxpayer's status - as resident or nonresident or a part year resident - and there are difference in tax filing and different rules to calculate tax liability.
See here -
http://www.dor.state.nc.us/taxes/individual/resident.html
You are considered a nonresident if you are legal resident of another state. A nonresident is required to report income received from services performed in North Carolina or from tangible property located in this State. You are a part-year resident if you moved to North Carolina and became a resident during the tax year or you moved out of North Carolina and became a resident of another state. Part-year residents are required to report all income received while a resident as well as from services performed in North Carolina or from tangible property located in this State.
Let me know if you need any help.