Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am using a big chunk of one of my retirement funds (100K)

Customer Question
to build my dream home. What...
I am using a big chunk of one of my retirement funds (100K) to build my dream home.
What can I do to minimize the tax bite
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
5/12/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Up to $10,000 of IRA dollars can be used toward the purchase of your "first home."
And if you're married, and you and your spouse are first-time buyers, you each can pull from retirement accounts, giving you $20,000 in residential cash.
THis waives this waives the 10% penalty but the distribution is still taxable
Now, the IRS definition of "first-time homebuyer." is important. You qualify under the tax rules as long as you (or your spouse) didn't own a principal residence at any time during the previous two years.
Also the IRS says the first-time homebuyer using your IRA funds for a "first time home" can be you, your spouse, one of your children, a grandchild or a parent.
If this is a 401(k) the rules don't apply, so you'd need to roll (transfer is the better way) those dollars to an IRA first.
ALSO, a 401(k) plan CAN allow for a loan for residence and THAT TYPE loan can be repaid over a longer period than the 5 year payback period on any other 401(k) loan.
Let me know what questions you have...
lane

So 20% or more is unavoidable?

What about the various taxes, costs, energy related stuff ?

Depends on your tax bracket ... any distribution (lets forget about the waiver of the 10% penalty for a moment) is simply added to the other household income for the tax year it's distributed. (Which DOES brong up one issue - If you can distribute across two different yax years, say pull out 50,000 on Dec31st then pull out 50,000 on Jan 1st of the following the following year, you'll likely keep more of the distribution in a lowder tax bracket. Lets say you're married filing jointly Here are the tax brackets ... and again, don't know your income situation, but the IRA will be taxed at the top beacket(s) becasue it's comiong in on top of the other iincome for the year:
2015 Ordinary Tax Rates for Married Filing Jointly and Qualifying Widow or Widower Filing Status[Tax Rate Schedule Y-1, Internal Revenue Code section 1(a)]If taxable income isabcdefgoverbut not overTaxable incomeMinusSubtract (b) from (a)Multiplication amountMultiply (c) by (d)Additional AmountAdd (e) and (f)$0$18,450 $0 × 10% $0 18,45074,900 18,450 × 15% 1,845.00 74,900151,200 74,900 × 25% 10,312.50 151,200230,450 151,200 × 28% 29,387.50 230,450411,500 230,450 × 33% 51,577.50 411,500464,850 411,500 × 35% 111,324.00 464,850 -- 464,850 × 39.6% 129,996.50
SO lets say you made 74,900 in income ... the 100,000 distribution wouldd be on top of that so taxed at 25% AND the last 25,000 would be taxed at the 28% bracket
There ARE tax credit for enery related purcgase such as Hot water heaters, certain window, solar panels, etcFrom an EXCELLENT article at intuit, here are 10 eligible purchases you can make to reduce the transmission of heat and cold, thereby using less energy in your home:InsulationEnergy Star exterior doors and windows, including skylightsNew metal or asphalt roof with appropriate pigmented coatings or cooling granulesElectric heat pumpsElectric heat pump water heatersApproved central air-conditioningApproved natural gas, propane or oil water heatersApproved natural gas, propane or oil furnace or hot water boilersAdvanced main air circulating fansBiomass stoves using “plant-derived” fuel such as agricultural crops, wood pellets, grasses, etc
You can find a nice list of qualifying home improvement equipment from the EnergyStarweb site.