Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I didn't file my forex trading losses at about 1800

Customer Question
for last year. Do I...
I didn't file my forex trading losses at about 1800 for last year. Do I need to amend my taxes or can I let it go? I don't feel like amending my taxes if I won't get in trouble.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
5/11/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
No you're fine here.
Underreporting income .. or omissions that reduce taxable income that are not correct will cause an issue.
but the division that handles tax returns at IRS is the collections division. Their objective is collecting revenue.
For example, a return that is filed for refund (or LOWERING tax liability) purposes that is more than three years old is past the statute of limitations for filing an amended return to LOWER tax liability.
Even if amending would generate a several thousand dollar refund, after three years, it won't be accepted.
IRS calls this an excess collection.
You are fine here.
lane
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS