Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What taxes do we need to pay? H2B visa holders from Philippines

Customer Question
working in Guam...
What taxes do we need to pay? H2B visa holders from Philippines working in Guam
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
5/11/2015
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
For the H-2B (non-ag) workers on Guam, a treaty with the Philippines eliminates the payroll taxes on this particular group of primarily construction workers.
The following links contain excellent information you will find helpful:
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Aliens-Employed-in-the-U.S.-%E2%80%93-Social-Security-Taxes
http://cis.org/Employers-Cheat-Aging-By-Hiring-Foreign-Workers-Spanish
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Question is, what taxes do we have to pay pertaining to employment in GUAM under h2b visa? Do you mean, we don't have to pay taxes in GUAM?
If you are a nonresident alien of the United States who does not qualify as a bona fide resident of Guam for the entire tax year, you generally must file the following returns.
•A Guam tax return reporting only your income from sources within Guam. In this situation, wages for services performed in Guam, whether for a private employer, the U.S. Government, or otherwise, is income from sources within Guam.
•A U.S. tax return (Form 1040NR) reporting U.S. source income according to the rules for a nonresident alien. See the instructions for Form 1040NR.
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p570/ch03.html#en_US_2014_publink1000221321
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent