Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If an estate owns the personal residence of the deceased party,

Customer Question
does the sale of the...
If an estate owns the personal residence of the deceased party, does the sale of the personal result in a tax gain or loss?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/8/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Hi and welcome to our site!
That is correct - the estate may realize either the gain or loss on the sale.
The issue is that when the property is inherited - it gets so-called stepped up basis equals to the fair market value (FMV) of the property at the time the decedent passed away.
So if the property sold shortly after that - most likely - there is no gain,
but if the property appreciated after the decedent passed away or there were substantial improvements - there might be a gain.
However - the most common situation - when the estate realizes a small loss.
For instance.
Assuming the FMV is $200k at the time the decedent passed away - and that is the basis.
So when the property sold shortly for the same $200k - and $10,000 were Realtor fees and other sale expenses - so in this example - the sale would result $10k capital loss.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor