Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How many % is capital gain to sell an individual taxi medallion

Customer Question
?...
how many % is capital gain to sell an individual taxi medallion ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
5/8/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Hi and welcome to our site!Capital gain rates are based on total income - but reduced if the property is long term - owned more than a year. The maximum tax rate for long-term capital gains and qualified dividends is 20%, as amended by ATRA. For tax year 2015, the 20% rate applies to amounts above $12,300. The 0% and 15% rates continue to apply to amounts below certain threshold amounts. The 0% rate applies to amounts up to $2,500. The 15% rate applies to amounts between the two thresholds.
Hi, so does it apply just to real estate or all in general?
taxi medallion is not treated as real estate.The taxi medallion is section 197 intangible.
The difference is amortization/depreciation recapture - that is taxed as a regular income.
so if I sell it for $500T more - capital gain should be 20% from that amount?
Specifically for 2014 capital gain rates were reduced to 15% for taxpayers with total income below highest tax bracket - and 20% above that level.For 2015 - we are back to the old law - and capital gain will be taxed at 20% for the most of that amount.
In additional - if the asset was owned more than 15 years - it is fully amortized - and the original purchase price will be recaptured and taxed as regular income (not as capital gain) - but the rate woudl be not more than 25%
It is possible that 15% rate will be back for 2015 - for 2014 the law was signed at the end of the year only - but so far for 2015 - we still have the old law in effect.
If you are in 10%, 15% brackets Ordinary rate - 0% long term capital gain rate 25%, 28%, 33%, 35% brackets Ordinary rate - 15%39.6% bracket Ordinary rate - 20%Additional 3.8% federal Medicare tax applies to those with modified AGI above of $200,000 (single) or$250,000 (married/filing jointly).
the 39.6% bracket is following - Married Filing Separately ($228,800), Single ($406,750), Head of Household ($432,200), and Married Filing Joint Returns ($457,600).
In additional - because of large long term capital gain - you might be subject to AMT tax.So we may not simply based our estimate on the tax rate.If you provide your filing status, total income, deductions, etc - I will estimate your expected tax liability with and without the gain realized from the selling the taxi medallion.Please also consider - if you are selling on installments - that will allow to spread tax liability over several years and might reduce the total amount owned.
Just an illustration example - assuming you are single - standard deduction - no other deductions or credits - and your ONLY income is from $500k in long term capital gain - then
your estimated federal income tax liability would be
Regular tax $68535
Alternative minimum tax (AMT) $12077
Net Investment Tax $11400
Total - $92012
State and city taxes will be in additional.
However - your other income and deductions might affect these estimations.
Let me know if we need to adjust these estimations.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate my answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor