Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Tax Question. I am in a personal care home and was certified

Customer Question
by a physician as needing...
Tax Question. I am in a personal care home and was certified by a physician as needing care in a personal care home. Is the cost of the personal care home tax deductible?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
5/8/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
If you were certified as needing the car by a physician, the likely answer is yes.
But to provide a more careful, useful & thoughtful answer...
IRS puts is this way:
You can include medical expenses, cost of meals and lodging in one these facilities if the principal reason for being there is to get medical care.
These expenses can be deducted for you, yourself or a dependent.
BUT, if the reason for being in a care facility is purely personal, (convenience, if you will) you cannot include the cost of meals and lodging. (You can only include the cost of the medical expenses or nursing care).
So again, since it was certified by the doctor, as NEEDING this care, the answer is YES. it's tax deductible.
Lane
Let me know if you have any questions at all.
f this HAS helped, I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the smiley faces or stars on your screen ...   that's the ONLY WAY I'm credited for the work here.
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS