Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I sold a vacation home that I rented out years. Some

Customer Question
I sold a vacation home...
I sold a vacation home that I rented out for 15 years. Some years it did not rent. I used software to enter depreciation. It calculated total depreciation and allowable depreciation and then used the allowable on schedule E which often resulted in a zero entry for depreciation since expense were more than rental income. I now have to figure depreciation recapture. Do I use the total depreciation figure or the allowed depreciation figure. I assume that there is no depreciation in the years it was not rented.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
5/7/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
You use the allowed depreciation. If you sell your asset for more that its depreciated value, the IRS requires you to pay it tax on that gain.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4