How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15180
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold a vacation home that I rented out years. Some

Customer Question

I sold a vacation home that I rented out for 15 years. Some years it did not rent. I used software to enter depreciation. It calculated total depreciation and allowable depreciation and then used the allowable on schedule E which often resulted in a zero entry for depreciation since expense were more than rental income. I now have to figure depreciation recapture. Do I use the total depreciation figure or the allowed depreciation figure. I assume that there is no depreciation in the years it was not rented.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
You use the allowed depreciation. If you sell your asset for more that its depreciated value, the IRS requires you to pay it tax on that gain.