How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How should i fill out my W4? I am married, filing jointly.

Customer Question

how should i fill out my W4? I am married, filing jointly. I make significantly more than my husband. How many allowances should I file? And should I file at the married but at higher single rate?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any dependents? If not, you can claim 2 allowances. If there are dependents, add the number of dependents to the number to the 2. It is usually better to file married filing jointly. In some cases, it is better for a married couple to file married filing separately. You can refer to the following webpage for more detailed information relating to filing jointly or separately. If you live in a community property state, in my opinion, it is more of a hassle than note to file married filing separately. Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.