Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My parents are deceased, they left a home to be divided among

Customer Question
6 siblings in 2006....
My parents are deceased, they left a home to be divided among 6 siblings in 2006. I made sure my father's taxes got paid, and I have been paying rent to live there sometimes. Now I received a delinquent tax statement summary...in my deceased dad's name. Am I liable to pay thse back late taxes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi,They will certainly let you ... allthough if this isn't property tax (where the house could potentially be sold to satisfy the taxes) and the estate has already been probated, you should HAVe to pay his income taxes ... can you tell me more about wjat kind of tax we're talking about?
Sorry for the typo ... YOU SHOULD NOT have to py any income taxes he may have left unpaid... again if you can tell me (1) What kind of taxes we're talking about (2) whether the probate estate was closed and (3) Why you had to pay rent (just to help me understand the context) ... I can give youi a much more specific answer.. Let me know ... I'll be hereLane
Sorry for the typo ... YOU SHOULD NOT have to pay any income taxes he may have left unpaid... again if you can tell me (1) What kind of taxes we're talking about (2) whether the probate estate was closed and (3) Why you had to pay rent (just to help me understand the context) ... I can give youi a much more specific answer.. Let me know ... I'll be hereLane
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney