How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in Texas. I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy,already went to

Customer Question

I am in Texas. I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy,already went to court, and now IRS sent me refund check of the taxes I already paid.
I don't know if Chapter 7 allows for that. I fear depositing this check before I know if it is ok to do so
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Based on the following information, you are required to turn the check over to the BK Trustee. SEE BELOW: How the Trustee Gets Your Tax Refund How the trustee obtains your tax refund may vary depending on where you live.In many cases, the trustee fills out a form to notify the Internal Revenue Service that you have filed for bankruptcy and that any refund due is property of the bankruptcy estate. The Internal Revenue Service then sends the refund directly to the trustee. If the refund is sent directly to you, if you have not claimed the refund as exempt, you must give the check or money to the trustee when you receive it. The trustee can deposit a check into the account that is created for the money collected in your case even if the check is made payable to you directly -- so you don’t need to cash the check or endorse it before forwarding it the trustee. REFERENCE SOURCE: Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you. I do NOT want a membership, I only wished to know the answer to my question. cancel membership, I don't need it.

Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. I will be sure that customer service knows that you do not wish to have a membership. Please be so kind as to positively rate the response. As this is how I receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will go to Paypal to make sure no more payments except for the 32.00 today.

Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
If there are any billing issues, that is handled by customer support.