Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

My husband is receiving Labor and Indutries on the job

Customer Question

My husband is receiving Labor and Indutries for a on the job injury he will be out of work for the entire year of 2015. I do not work also. Have not worked in 15 years and do not qualify for ssi. so my question is, how do we do our taxes for 2015 if we only had a non- taxable income
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
In brief, if you have no taxable income to report, you are not required to file a tax return.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is what I thought, it is not like ssi, which is a taxable income right? In our state we are trying to apply for medicade health insurance and they are trying to lump it in with ssi, and if ssi is taxable then they do not belong in the same category and furthermore we should not have anymore problems with our income with them

SSI, without other income is not taxable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does a child care credit include as income? Then taxes will be filed?

No, that is a credit, not considered taxable income.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, so then file with labor and industries as a means of support, then mark a child care credit and then the interest on our house and that should be it if medicare allows us to receive benefits

The child and dependent care credit is a non-refundable credit. Therefore, without taxable income, the credit will not benefit you .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, so then it's just the interest we have to claim on our house

You can file a return to claim the mortgage interest, but without taxable income, it will make no difference.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you. I just wanted to make sure that we did everything properly, while I keep all of my records this year

You are very welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By chance can you tell me what the poverty level is for the state of Washington ,,, for the medicare benefits

I can't tell you what the poverty guideline is specifically for the state of Washington, but the information found on the following page will give you the federal guidelines. http://obamacarefacts.com/federal-poverty-level/ A positive rating is appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks..... sorry to have kept bothering you

You are welcome. No bother.