Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am working 2 1/2 hrs away from my home. I am living in my

Customer Question

I am working 2 1/2 hrs away from my home. I am living in my camping trailer when I am working, and paying space rent. Will I be able to claim my space rent as a travel encured expense?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 20 years of experience.
Claiming travel expenses is dependent on the nature of your working away from your ordinary tax home. Your tax home is not always your home where you and your family live.
Your tax home is where you generally work. If you are on temporary assignment then you can claim the rent for the space. Temporary means that you are not expecting to be in that area for more than 12 months. You have been sent to that location from your regular place of work but only for a short time (less than 12 months).