Tax

In 2014, I was enrolled in a university pursuing a dual degree.

Customer Question
This means that I was...
This means that I was pursuing a bachelor degree that would lead into a masters, saving both time and money. I transferred schools. At the time of pursuing the dual degree, I was taking undergraduate courses. I just received my 10-98 T form from the university and box 9 is checked as... Read full answer
In 2014, I was enrolled in a university pursuing a dual degree. This means that I was pursuing a bachelor degree that would lead into a masters, saving both time and money. I transferred schools. At the time of pursuing the dual degree, I was taking undergraduate courses. I just received my 10-98 T form from the university and box 9 is checked as graduate. Even though I did not begin my graduate classes, the university informed me that because this was a program leading into a graduate degree, they have to check the box. Can i still claim undergraduate tax credit (american opportunity tax credit) even though the graduate box is checked?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
2/6/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 4 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 20 years of experience.
Box 9 would not have been checked if you were not enrolled in a graduate degree program, or you were enrolled during the calendar year first as an undergraduate student and then a graduate student.

You can claim the AOTC for qualified educational expenses paid during the entire tax year, if you:

Have not completed the first four years of post-secondary (college) education as of the beginning of the tax year, and

Has not claimed the Hope scholarship credit and/or the AOTC for more than four years.
If you have not completed the first 4 years then you would still be eligible.

Robin D. :

I found no IRS regulation that changes the rule on first 4 years. You may be questioned about the credit and would need to show that you have not completed the first 4 years or claimed any other credit based on those.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service.
If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My wife has bachelors degree from foreign country (INDIA)
My wife has bachelors degree from foreign country (INDIA) 2010. We came to united states few years ago. In 2018, she went to college to get Associate Degree. Can i claim Americal Opportunity Tax credit for her?I read that student should not have completed bachelors degree. But since my wife completed bachelors degree from different country and she had not used AOTC yet, does that make her eligible now? … read more
Barbara
Barbara
Enrolled Agent, Paralegal,
Assuming 100K of income and married filing jointly what is
Assuming 100K of income and married filing jointly what is the maximum education credits (refundable and non refundable) for 3 dependents if two are undergrad and one is in a master program?Dependent … read more
Barbara
Barbara
Enrolled Agent, Paralegal,
I have completed my bachelors degree from india and I am
Hi , I have completed my bachelors degree from india and I am pursuing another bachelors degree from USA. I want to know if I am eligible for american oppurtunity tax credit or not? … read more
emc011075
emc011075
Tax advisor and Enrolled Agent,
Stop searching for answers—
Can American Opportunity Tax Credit be claimed based on
Can American Opportunity Tax Credit be claimed based on attached 1098-T for someone who is a graduate student.… read more
Barbara
Barbara
Enrolled Agent, Paralegal,
NYS is reviewing a tuition deduction as an itemized expense.
NYS is reviewing a tuition deduction as an itemized expense. It is a grauduate course used to maintain or improve the current position. NYS claims it is a minimum requirement course. The client is a t… read more
ShawnA
ShawnA
CEO,
Lev, I had another question I wanted to ask? I go to
Hello Lev, I had another question I wanted to ask? I go to law school and wanted to get education credit. My law school is approx. $10k a year. How do I go about getting maximum credit? dan… read more
Lev
Lev
Retired,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
, I'e a different question, although to some extent it
Hi, I'e a different question, although to some extent it relates to previous question on AOC. 1. My friends (one of them did his master's and he says his CPA claimed credit for him under AOC) suggest … read more
Robin D.
Robin D.
Senior Tax Advisor 4,
Our son graduated from high school in june. He started attending
Our son graduated from high school in june. He started attending college in October. That college that he attended has six week sessions rather than quarters. He was enrolled full time for one six wee… read more
emc011075
emc011075
Tax advisor and Enrolled Agent,
After a student completed 2 year pre-pharmacy program in 2013,
After a student completed 2 year pre-pharmacy program in 2013, she entered 4 year pharmacy school that same year. And she got 1098-T for 2013 and there was X mark in box 9 (“Check if a graduate studen… read more
Certified Public Accountant (CPA),
Hi My wife got master degree outside of US. Now she is
Hi My wife got master degree outside of US. Now she is trying to obtain associate degree in other field in US. However our MAGI>160 (filling jointly) is too big to apply for deduction. Hence the qu… read more
taxmanrog
taxmanrog
A student enrolled on August 26, 2013 to Kaplan College for
A student enrolled on August 26, 2013 to Kaplan College for Medical Office Specialist (MOS). Classes started on Sept 10, 2013. It is a nine month course. He took out a student loan that covers everyth… read more
Lev
Lev
Retired,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
Good evening, I am a US citizen filing jointly with my
Good evening, I am a US citizen filing jointly with my spouse who is a not a US citizen holding a J-1 visa awaiting her Adjustment of Status. Since she was a student in 2011, our Income Tax return is … read more
Lev
Lev
Retired,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
Stop searching for answers—
Hello, Can a U.S. student who received an undergraduate degree
Hello, Can a U.S. student who received an undergraduate degree abroad claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit for 2010 if he is going for his Ph.D in the United States now? Thank you… read more
Anne
Anne
Master Tax Preparer,
Hello, Can a U.S. student who received an undergraduate
Hello, Can a U.S. student who received an undergraduate degree abroad claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit for 2010?… read more
Anne
Anne
Master Tax Preparer,
The American Opportunity Credit is only for the first four
The American Opportunity Credit is only for the first four years of post-secondary education, does that still apply if the student was not a US citizen and received a degree in their home country? I.E… read more
Lev
Lev
Retired,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
I am doing my taxes online with HR Block but have run into
I am doing my taxes online with HR Block but have run into a roadblock concerning the opportunity credit for education. I was an undergraduate student in 2009 for 9 months earned my Bachelors Degree (… read more
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed
Master Tax Advisor Enrolled Agent,
Hello I am a citizen of India, and I graduated with my PhD
Hello I am a citizen of India, and I graduated with my PhD in 2009 after 6 years in an NY University. I am currently employed on Optional Practical Training (OPT). Question: Am I a US resident for tax… read more
Lev
Lev
Retired,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
When filing a 1040, on line 7 they want you to claim ...
When filing a 1040, on line 7 they want you to claim all fellowship grants. Unless you are a degree candidate. What is a degree candidate?… read more
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Senior HR Consultant and Business Devlpm,