How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Only income for 2013 was social security, unemployment and

This answer was rated:

Only income for 2013 was social security, unemployment and a IRA withdrawal which I paid taxes on. After taking half of my SS amount, unemployment and IRA withdrawal income still below 25,000. My question is do I get anything back from taxes I paid on IRA or on interest deduction for mortgage payments?

Hi and welcome to our site!
When you prepare your income tax - all your income must be included - unemployment and a IRA withdrawal.

Because your income still below 25,000 - social security is not taxable.


Welcome to Just Answers! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

The amount of taxes withheld on the IRA varies by payer and type. If you give me the actual amounts of your SS, unemployment, and IRA withdrawals, the taxes paid, your filing status (married, single, number of children claimed) and the amount of your mortgage interest and real estate taxes, I can give you a pretty accurate number.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Total SS $25,282.80, Unemployment $640.00, IRA amount $6,125. Taxes paid on IRA $1,500.62 taxes on unemployment $64.00, SS only deduction $1,258.80 for Medicare. I am single mortgage interest $3,840.65.

Bases on your information - you do not have ANY tax liability.

Because your total taxable income is below $10,000.

Social security benefits are not taxable in your situation.

However while you are not required to file the tax return - you still might want to file and request the amount withheld from your IRA distribution to be refunded.

If you do file - you may expect back from the IRS Taxes paid on IRA $1,500.62 and on unemployment $64.

So far - it would be beneficial if you file your tax return.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks that helps if I file I can deduct IRA tax paid and mortgage interest is that correct?

Yes - you may deduct your mortgage interest.
However because your tax liability is ZERO - that will not make any good because additional deductions will not make any difference - as you do not owe any taxes anyway.
So you may only get back taxes that were withheld from your payments.
on IRA $1,501 and on unemployment $64 - total $1565.
You do NOT deduct these taxes - you will just request them to be refunded because you do not have any tax liability.
The purposes of withholding to cover possible tax liability - but because your tax liability is zero - all taxes previously withheld will be refunded.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you