Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

i was married to my wife for six years and we were recently

divorced on september 2013. what...
i was married to my wife for six years and we were recently divorced on september 2013. what should i claim on my 1040 for the year of 2013? is there a partial deduction that i ll be qualified for since we were married most of the year?
11/21/2013
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Welcome. Thank you for choosing us to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to help make your life, a little... less taxing.

Even though you were married for part of the year, you are required to file single since you were not married on the last day of the year. SEE BELOW:

You are unmarried for the whole year if either of the following applies.

You have obtained a final decree of divorce or separate maintenance by the last day of your tax year. You must follow your state law to determine if you are divorced or legally separated.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p504/ar02.html

Q: is there a partial deduction that i ll be qualified for since we were married most of the year?

A: Unfortunately there is not.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for choosing this Q&A service for assistance.

thank you for unfavorble but fair response. The law is not on my side, but it isnt your falt. Thanks again.

You are welcome. Thank you for understanding that we don't make the laws. At times we do have to provide unfavorable information. I wish that I could have provided you with a more favorable response.
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant