How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters boyfriend doesnt technically live with her,

This answer was rated:

My daughter's boyfriend doesn't technically live with her, but is there all the time. He does not pay rent or utilities. He does buy most of the groceries and helps with things around the house, He is very handy. I don't think any of this constitutes income for her as it affects her income taxes. Even if it did, her mortgage, house taxes, utilities and capital improvements would offset it. I think I am right, but just checking.



You are absolutely correct that the buying of groceries nor doing work around the house is income for your daughter.

Gifts are not included as part of income subject to tax - whether the gift is groceries, cash, jewelry or other property.


What the boyfriend gives her does not influence what she reports for income tax.


Please ask if you need more discussion.

Thank you.

jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions