Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My daughters boyfriend doesnt technically live with her,

My daughter's boyfriend doesn't technically...
My daughter's boyfriend doesn't technically live with her, but is there all the time. He does not pay rent or utilities. He does buy most of the groceries and helps with things around the house, He is very handy. I don't think any of this constitutes income for her as it affects her income taxes. Even if it did, her mortgage, house taxes, utilities and capital improvements would offset it. I think I am right, but just checking.
11/18/2013
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent

Greetings,

You are absolutely correct that the buying of groceries nor doing work around the house is income for your daughter.

Gifts are not included as part of income subject to tax - whether the gift is groceries, cash, jewelry or other property.

What the boyfriend gives her does not influence what she reports for income tax.

Please ask if you need more discussion.

Thank you.

jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
jgordosea
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent