Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My son is 17 and started his first job in 2012. His employer

has given him his first...
My son is 17 and started his first job in 2012. His employer has given him his first W4 to fill out. What does he put for what allowances? He will make less than 5,000. His parents do claim him as a dependent. Thank you!
11/17/2013
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Stephen G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX & I'll be helping you today. My goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer that you can understand.

Stephen G. :

If he's eligible to be claimed by you as a dependent, he should claim 0 exemptions on his W4.

Stephen G. :

He probably won't owe an income taxes; and just social security tax will be withheld from his pay.

Stephen G. :

Questions?

Customer:

OK, so A through H on the personal allowances work sheet will all be "0" and then of course Line 5, Total Number of Allowances, will be "0"?

Stephen G. :

Yes

Customer:

OK, thank you very much!

Stephen G. :

If you want to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Thanks again for using us for your tax and financial questions. You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate it if you would answer it; the survey results are used by the site as an additional tool to rate our performance;

Please remember to rate my response; it is the only way we get credit for our work.

Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert