Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My daughter and her 3 children live with us and do not pay

rent. Can we...
My daughter and her 3 children live with us and do not pay rent. Can we claim a deduction? How much?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

Hello and welcome...my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you tonight

Megan C :

How are you?

Megan C :

Does your daughter work? IF so, does she make more than $3,900 per year?

Customer:

Yes, she works and makes more than $3,900.

Megan C :

Basically, you can claim a deduction for your daughter if you provide over 1/2 of her total support, and she earns less than $3,900 per year

Megan C :

Okay, then you will not be able to claim a deduction for her and her children. She will get to claim the deduction for her children

Customer:

This is not the case.

Megan C :

Okay

Customer:

Can we claim a loss since we are not receiving rent?

Megan C :

No, you cannot claim a loss since you are not receiving rent.

Customer:

OK - I gues that answers everything.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry. I wish I had better news for you

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with tonight?

Customer:

No, that will do it for now.

Megan C :

Here are some rules on claiming a relative CLICK HERE

Megan C :

If you would, please rate me positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

OK

Megan C :

Thanks so much