Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband and I have filed for divorce and will file separately

for 2013, although our divorce...
My husband and I have filed for divorce and will file separately for 2013, although our divorce won't be final until 2014. Should I adjust my withholding to account for higher taxes? If so do you have any idea how much more it is to file married/separately?
11/15/2013
CFEPro789
CFEPro789, Accountant

jgdarragh2285 :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today with your tax question.

Customer:

hello

jgdarragh2285 :

Sorry it took me a second my computer froze. You need to adjust your withholding to single, or head of household if you have children. Your tax with holding will be about the same still it wont change much

Customer:

ok great. Thank you.

jgdarragh2285 :

Right now you probably have married filing jointly, simply change it to single and you will be fine

jgdarragh2285 :

Do you have children

Customer:

no minor children

jgdarragh2285 :

Okay then yes do single with 1 exemption once you are divorced, if you want to change before the divorce is final and you are going to file married filing separately then choose that on your W4 which is used to update the withholding

jgdarragh2285 :

So basically for right now, married filing separately 1 exemption, once the divorce is final change it to single w/ 1 exemption and you will be set

Customer:

thank you!

jgdarragh2285 :

You are welcome!

CFEPro789
CFEPro789, Accountant
CFEPro789
CFEPro789
CFEPro789, Accountant