Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how many allowances should i put on my w-4 if i am married

and have 4 kids...
how many allowances should i put on my w-4 if i am married and have 4 kids
11/14/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

Hello and welcome. Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you today

Megan C :

Does your spouse work?

Customer:

no

Megan C :

Okay then you claim 1 allowance for yourself, 2 for your spouse, and 1 for each child. So, that is 7

Customer:

what about the child income tax credit wouldn't that be 2 for each child

Megan C :

Are they under age 16?

Customer:

yes all of them

Megan C :

Then yes, you could have 2 for each child...so that's 11 allowances

Customer:

ok so why do i put 2 for my wife if she is not working

Megan C :

Because she is not bringing in any income. If she was bringing in income your tax would be higher

Customer:

ok so i only have on job do i qualify for EITC for each eligible child my wife dosen't have a social but i do

Megan C :

How much do you make per year

Customer:

about 25,000

Megan C :

Yes, you would qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit

Customer:

and how would i get that if my wife dosen't have a social but has an TIN number can i still get it

Megan C :

Are you a lawful resident alien?

Customer:

no i have a work authorization permit and that's how i got a social

Megan C :

You can't get the EITC if your wife does not have a social security number, unfortunately

Megan C :

Can she get a social security number?

Customer:

no she just has an TIN number what if i file as single household because this year she is not gonna

Customer:

file any taxes because she didn't work

Megan C :

You can't, unfortunately ... you would have to file married filing separately, and that filing status does not work with the EITC

Customer:

so if i put 11 allowances that dosen't mean i have 11 dependents on my w-4 correct

Megan C :

No, it does not mean you have 11 dependents. Allowances are something totally different.

Customer:

so in the w-4 question num 5 Total number of allowances you are claiming should be 11 allowances

Customer:

i am filling out my w-4 thays why i am asking this

Megan C :

Yes, that is correct. You should have little to no tax withheld because your tax will be very low

Customer:

so that means i should expect a big refund or a little refund when i file my taxes

Megan C :

With 4 children, you should have at least $4,000 of refund

Customer:

ok i see so for question E on w-4 enter 1 if you will file as head of household should i put 1 for that that will make my allowances to 12

Megan C :

You won't file head of household. That's for single people, not married people

Customer:

what about the child tax credit section section G in w-4 will i add 2 for each children or just 1

Megan C :

You will add 2 for each child

Customer:

so that will be 8 correct so if i add all the lines that will make 15 allowances 1 for my self 2 for my spouse 4 for how many dependents i have and 8 for child tax credit i am confused

Megan C :

No, you have 11 total. You have 1 for you, and 2 each for your wife and children.

Customer:

oh ok i understand thank you very much for all your help

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisiting you today

Customer:

one more question so i wont get penalized by the IRS for having too many allowances

Megan C :

No, you will not get penalized by the IRS for having too many allowances.

Customer:

ok thank you very much thats everything

Megan C :

Okay great. Please rate me positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today