Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

good morning, several weeks ago i sent in my payment to

good morning, several weeks ago i...
good morning,

several weeks ago i sent in my payment to the IRS for tax year 2012 in sum of $20,000 plus. However, i had a mess up at the bank and the check was not honored by my bank as they made a mistake on my linked accounts. The IRS tried twice to collect the funds from my account and they were returned. I went to the back to confront the issue and they corrected the issue and apologized for the mistake. They went as far to write me a letter stating what happen. So, now i have bounced a check with the IRS. While at the bank I went ahead and had a certified check made out to the amount owed. However. should I wait to hear from them or should i send in the monies with the bank letter?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
Go ahead and send your payment do not wait to hear from the IRS. Send a copy of the bank letter along with a request to abate any fees or penalties for the late payment.

Robin D. :

If you receive a notice from the IRS (that is a possiblity) call the number on the notice and let them know about your sending the payment and the letter copy at that time.

Customer:

for some reason my account think i should wait but im not feeling good about that advice. He feels the damage has been done

Robin D. :

I would not wait.

Robin D. :

I see no reason to wait at this time.

Customer:

what address do i send the check to and who attention. im concerned it may get lost

Customer:

should i go to an IRS office near my area

Robin D. :

Send it certified and you would send the payment to one of the following depending on your specific earning situation:
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-%26-Self-Employed/Where-to-Send-Your-Individual-Tax-Account-Balance-Due-Payments

Robin D. :

You can certainly go to the office.

Customer:

just to confirm send in the bank letter along with the check with a letter from me requesting fees and penalties be removed

Robin D. :

Yes, if you are going to mail. If you are going to go to your local office then have a copy of the bank letter to take with you (retain that original)

Customer:

thanks for the help . I hope the IRS is understanding:)

Robin D. :

They can be

Robin D. :

You are most welcome.
Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Customer:

have a great day

Robin D. :

thank you

Robin D. :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
You will find the request feature when you come back under your MY QUESTIONS section.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4