Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

For real estate tax which fiscal year is beginning in 1st of

For real estate tax which fiscal year is beginning in 1st of July and the first payment is in Oct. I have been deducted the full year tax in the first payment year tax return. Should I amend it?

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for requesting me directly.

Megan C :

You can deduct the taxes that you actually paid during the year, so if you only paid three months of real estate tax, then that is all you can deduct.

Megan C :

You deduct tax in the year you pay it because you are a cash basis taxpayer

Megan C :

If you have deducted too much, then yes - you should amend your tax return.

Megan C :

Typically, though I see real estate taxes paid once per year, not in installments.

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? If not, please rate me positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

thanks.