How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29966
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old daughter works as an actress. She lives in IL

This answer was rated:

My 17 year old daughter works as an actress. She lives in IL and did a commercial in WI. The agency took out
State taxes for Wisconsin . Will she also have to pay state tax in IL where we reside?

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
Income tax liability is based on both - the place of employment and residency.
Because your daughter worked in WI - her wages are subject of WI income tax.
Because your daughter lives in WI - her wages are subject of IL income tax as well.
So - yes - her wages are subject of income taxes in both states.
However - as a resident of IL - she will be able to claim a credit for taxes paid to other states - thus effectively will avoid double taxation of the same income.
Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Customer: Thanks so much.
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you