Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Hi there, i was sick most of 2012, very. and missed all my

Hi there, i was sick most of 2012, very. and missed all my tax filing dates....do you know if

A is there a free place to file 2012 online?
B. Can i write off some medical expenses
C. Disability, does not count as income, according to what i found - yes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
if A is there a free place to file 2012 online?
Not at this time - but you will be file with no charge in January if you file a simple tax return.
Yes - you may deduct your medical expenses - you need to itemize - and such deduction will be subject of floor limitation. But - yes - medical expenses are deductible - and you need to collect all supporting documents to calculate your total medical expenses.
In most situation - it depends on your circumstances.
If that is your social security disability benefits - here is a simple test - take a half of your social security disability benefits PLUS other taxable income - if the total is less than $25,000 (for single) - none of your social security disability benefits are taxable.
Let me know if you have a different type of disability benefits.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
aw, so i have to wait untill 2013?

my total disability was around 22k for that year, + on a w2, 21k.....

I do not have my total medical amount - very hard to get, but im sure i hit the max......what is it? i'm guessing, and its pretty close, i spent about 25k on medical in 6 months. are they going to demand the docs? If so, they would have to talk to my fromer HMO, who will not deal with me now that im not a member, so i cant get a total to the T Bill.

Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bill,

appreciate you for asking your clarification questions.

so i have to wait until 2013?
Fro free e filing - yes - but if you want to pay for your tax return or you want to main a paper tax return - no need to wait - and you may file your 2012 tax return right away.
my total disability was around 22k for that year, + on a w2, 21k
.....
In this case your social security disability benefits will be partially taxed.

I do not have my total medical amount - very hard to get, but im sure i hit the max......what is it? i'm guessing, and its pretty close, i spent about 25k on medical in 6 months. are they going to demand the docs?

You will only need to provide documents if audited.by the IRS.

But you will also need documents to calculate your medical expenses - you should not use estimations to claim deductions.

If so, they would have to talk to my former HMO, who will not deal with me now that im not a member, so i cant get a total to the.

Just do you best to collect all possible supporting documents - bank statements, canceled checks, etc - that support your medical payments.